January is ADC Typography Month
Typography and Lettering Month is coming to the ADC Blog. Photographers have had their spotlight, as have illustrators, and now it’s time for type nerds and letterform geeks to get some glory!
We are looking to showcase ADC Members whose predominant talents lie in typography and/or lettering. If you’re a professional, student or amateur, we’d love to feature you as our Typographer Spotlight throughout the month of January.
*You must be a current ADC Member to be featured.
Not a member? Join or renew today.
Here’s what we’ll need from you:
- Your headshot
- Location (City/State/Country)
- Contact info (email/phone number/rep’s contact info if applicable)
- Twitter handle (so we can share your feature with our extensive social media network)
- Instagram handle (for the same reasons as Twitter)
- 5–6 samples of your work to go alongside your feature (horizontal and optimized for web) If you have a complete typeface of your own to show off, feel free to include it!
Then, just answer the following:
- Where did your interest in typography begin? It’s generally not something kids in kindergarten aspire to be. When did you discover that you could actually make a living out of it?
- How much of your ability is self-taught versus through schooling?
- How would you best describe your style? How did you foster that style? Do you tend to lean towards one type of lettering?
- Walk us through your usual type design process. Do you start on paper? Digitally?
- What is the most challenging thing about your career?
- What is your favorite ‘practical’ font, one for everyday use? What is it that you love about it so much?
- Do you have a favorite letter of the alphabet when it comes to experimenting with design? Why is that your favorite?
- Who wins in a fight: serif or sans serif?
- The obvious difference between an illustrator and a letter or typographer is that the latter works mainly with words and letters. Name a not-so-obvious difference between the artforms, one that certainly applies to you.
- What other artistic passions do you have? Where else do you find inspiration?
- Which professionals do you look up to the most in the typography/lettering world? (links to their websites/work if possible)
- At the end of the day, what do you love most about being a typographer or letterer?
Finally, if you haven’t done so already, you should also have your ADC Member Profile filled out.
Please send your submissions — or any questions you might have — to me, Brett McKenzie, at email@example.com
And hurry — the deadline for submissions is December 31, 2014!